Friday, December 12, 2008

Ice, Ice Baby!






Talk about crazy ice storms... I woke up middle of the night with my bedroom lights blaring which was weird because I KNOW I turned them off when I went to bed. It was pouring rain, hitting the house so hard it sounded like little stones on the windows and roof. At the time it didn't register, but now I realize it was ICE rain (not hail or sleet really, but frozen rain -- don't know what else to call it) making all the racket. Kendon, of course, was out of town and I was a little unnerved, so of course, I got up, checked the kids, did a walk-through of the house and checked all the doors to make sure everything was secure. All was well and I turned off my bedroom light and went back to bed. This was somewhere in the 3am ballpark.

Fast forward to 5am... I woke to loud cracking sounds and again bedroom lights that were on. Thinking Madison must have gotten up and I didn't hear her over my obnoxious snoring, I got up and checked her and Todd... they were sleeping and didn't stir. It was still pouring ice and was REALLY LOUD. But there were other sounds I hadn't heard earlier. Creaks and cracks, moaning... kinda weird and scary. Then the phone rang... school cancelled in the morning because of the ice storm, power lines down and roads flooded all over the place. No sooner did I hang up the phone then the lights dimmed, flickered and went out.

NOT COOL! So what's a girl to do? I went back to bed.

When I woke a couple hours later, the house was still dark, ice pouring from the sky. I looked out the window and was amazed by the sights... trees down all over the place. Huge limbs broken from the weight of the ice. The trees were encased in ice -- and I don't mean a thin layer of ice, either. It was beautiful in a cold "I'm completely covered in ice" sort of way. I got ready for work in the dark -- Madi and Todd went to a friends house (thanks Lisle -- you are truly awesome). It was pretty wild driving. Some roads were impassable, trees down everywhere, power lines down, and flooding... quite a nasty combination.

Our power was out for about 12 hours which really wasn't too bad considering the possibilities. There are still families and friends around the area who are still without heat and light. Not good when it's 30 degrees outside. Northborough declared a state of emergency and the town set up a shelter in the middle school. We're blessed to be warm, dry and safe. The kids had their first "snow" day and will enjoy a long weekend. Kendon got home safely and all is well.

4 comments:

Macy said...

Those pictures are crazy! I saw the ones that Rebecca took, but since you got out and drove around, yours are more dramatic. One of my neighbors told me it looked like a war zone, and after seeing your pictures, I agree. Glad you guys are all okay. I need to call our neighbors again and make sure our power is back.

Kristi said...

Ahh, Macy, not my pics, but this is definately what it looked like, although the pics don't show the thickness of the ice covering everything in Marlborough and Worcester yesterday.

Reality check for me: As I was driving down a tree lined street early yesterday am, going to a pt's house, no sooner did I pass a spot and a tree limb came crashing down on the road behind me... kinda scary and glad I hadn't been a few seconds slower.

Browns said...

I'm glad you are all safe and warm. We get freezing rain and ice storms here, but they are never THAT bad! Yikes.

Anne said...

Wow, those pictures are amazing! Sounds like we all got some good winter weather last week! We got about 2 inches of snow last Wed. Wouldn't know it today! Came home from dropping the kids off at school and had to turn the AC on! There is a giant snowball in the freezer, compliments of Andrew. Glad you are all ok! Scarry about the branch falling right behind you!! Tell everyone hi!