Tuesday, February 3, 2009

January Sucks!

I've been reflecting on January, thrilled that it has come and gone. I think of all the months of the year, January is the worst. It's gray and cold. I don't like gray. I don't like cold. And this January was worse than others before.

My sweet Grandma Cahoon died on January 13th. She was such a good woman and she was my absolute favorite. She was my "go-to G'ma". For as long as I can remember, she was always the one I shared my secrets with. She was the one I went to when I needed to unload about ANYTHING or when I wanted to share an experience or when I had a question about who-knows-what. She was there and she would listen, love me, feed me, and talk with me. She never flinched at my questions, never told me I was silly or foolish.

She listened when, as a teen, I ranted about the unfair rules of my parents. She laughed as I shared college stories and experiences. She hugged me as I cried about the most recent "break up" and she'd offer advice, solicited or not. She'd tell me what life was like for her when she was my age -- whatever age that was at the time. We shared. And I loved her.

Funny and cute -- inside and out. Clever and witty. Spiritual and unwavering. Straight shooter. Prim and proper. Card shark. Fashion lover. A walking contradiction.

I'm sad that she's gone. Sad that I won't be able to hear her voice again. But I'm glad that she's reunited with Grandpa in Heaven. I know that's where she is. She lived her life loving God, building her testimony of Jesus Christ and she never wavered from the course that would take her back to Him. I'll see her again, but I'll miss her until then.

3 comments:

Macy said...

I'm so sorry about your grandma. This is such a nice tribute and remembrance of her.

I'm glad January is over too.

Carissa said...

this made me bawl. great, not like I needed a recap of the funeral. haha.
one summer, I decided to go hang out with grandma by myself for a few days and we had the BEST time! she was so great!

Scott said...

I hate that she's not going to be there the next time I go home. :*( Loved what you wrote about her.