Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Bike Riding SUCKS!

As part of an exercise regime, I have maintained that biking is not my thing. I like running. That is what feels good to me. I have a sister who doesn't "get" running, but she swears by biking... obviously, it is her thing. Let me clarify something, though. When I talk about biking, I'm not talking about a leisurely bike ride with the kids through the neighborhood. I like that kind of biking. That is fun. The kind of biking I am objecting to is biking for fitness -- riding hard, working hard, definately not for fun. Well, today I just wanted to get a quick workout in and I thought, hey, why not go for a little bike ride. In hindsight, that was a terrible idea, but at the time it sounded kind of fun.

So I started off by checking my bike making sure my tires weren't flat, and then I grabbed my sunglasses and bike helmet (better to be safe!) and off I went. All was good. I was on a downhill grade. Then I came to the hills. I don't know if you are familiar with the terrain around my area, but it is hilly. In fact, rolling hills would describe it perfectly. It is beautiful... so long as you are not riding a bike.

The first hill wasn't too bad. I was peddling fast and by the last third of the hill, I was standing up using my weight to propel me up the rest of the way. Woohoo, I made it! Pat myself on the back then carry on... not long after the first hill, I came to a stop sign and had to cross a busy street followed immediately by a fairly steep hill. I made it, barely. Next came a series of ups and downs -- you remember the kind of hills on the back roads that you flew over in the car? The ones that made your stomach clench? In a car, those are a fun adventure. On a bike, not so much. But I made it over the peaks and valleys and continued on my merry way.

As I followed the road, I have to admit, I enjoyed the scenery and the feeling of the wind on my face. I didn't even mind the potholes and barking dogs. But then I came to a neverending uphill grade and my enjoyment "flew out the window" so to speak. I huffed and puffed and I puffed and I huffed and I downshifted and I peddled my heart out. And I thought to myself, among other things, that if I was running, I'd take this hill without a second thought. Why was it so much harder on a bike? By the middle of the hill, I was dying. A little further, my legs were officially dead.

Have you ever tried walking up a hill pushing a bike while your legs are shaking, feeling like spaghetti that is going to collapse without warning? That was me. Add a little nausea, heavy breathing and you have a pretty good idea of how I was feeling. To say it wasn't pretty would be an understatement. I wanted to be done this stupid bike ride! There wasn't anything fun about it. But I was quite a long way from home and had no choice but to get back on the bike and ride. And after a few more riding / walking stints, I made it home. I parked my bike in the garage and walked away from it without a backwards glance. The bike was NOT my friend.

Now that I've had some time away from the bike, I still maintain that biking for exercise is not for me. I'd rather cover ground on my feet, thank you very much. I'm commited to running. I love running. It feels good to me and biking definately does not.

No comments: