Monday, September 8, 2008

My washing machine




Why would I write about my washing machine, you wonder? Well, it's like this... Just before our family trip back to Canada in August, my old, reliable GE Washing machine died. It was 13 years old and had been slowly dying for the past couple of years. But the GE Repairman confirmed that it was officially dead and suggested we invest in something a little more modern.

So we did. We researched and shopped around and finally decided to buy a front loading Bosch. It is a little beauty and apparently, does a great job. I wouldn't know, though, since I'm still waiting for said machine to be delivered. It was a special order. It arrived last Friday. However, when they were loading it on the truck for delivery, it fell victim to the forklift. So, it had to be reordered and will likely take another couple of weeks. To say I'm not happy about that is an understatement... I'd really love to have a fully functioning washing machine in my home. I'd love to be able to do a load of laundry any time of the day or night. I'd love to wash my teenage son's football uniform EVERY SINGLE DAY!

Despite the setback with the washing machine, I'm trying to maintain a positive attitude. I have found that taking everything to the laundromat can be quite an adventure. Trying to find parking is a major feat. Occasionally, I find a space right next to the building. Today, though, I had to park down the road at the CVS and haul my overflowing baskets through the parking lot and across the street. That was fun. In addition to this character development, I am improving muscle tone as I haul the baskets of laundry from the house into the car, from the car into the laundromat, from the laundromat back to the car, and from the car into my home again. Good exercise. Then there's the opportunity to fill my time while I'm waiting for wash / dry cycles. I can simultaneously wash or dry 6 loads of laundry WHILE I CHECK MY EMAIL, READ A BOOK, WRITE A BOOK... WHATEVER! How cool is that? From start to finish, including folding, doing my laundry at the laundromat takes about 2 hours, give or take. So I come prepared with something to do to fill the time.

There is definately a downside, though. Whether or not my laundry is really clean, I don't know. Each batch I wash costs me $2.75 and I'm running out of quarters from the family fun jar. Add another couple of dollars for each batch in the dryer... the costs add up. I even found myself thinking once that it wouldn't be so bad to own and operate a laundromat... quite a money maker, I think. The last thing that comes to mind is that every time I go, I have to give myself a little pep talk to help me prepare for what might be lurking in the machines... hair, gunk, a stray pair of panties. I've seen all those things, but I'm sure I haven't seen it all... and I don't want to.

I'm really hoping that my new machine gets here soon. Undamaged.

2 comments:

Anne said...

Hey! Loved the blog! Awesome pictures. Were they taken in Canada? Edd is really getting into photography too! I got him a big camera for his b-day. He teaches me a few things here and there. Good luck with the washer! Mine hopefully won't die soon. Ever since we went through the lice drama, it hasn't been the same...washing load, after load, after load, after load really takes a toll. Miss you guys!!!

Hope school is going well!

Anne

Scott said...

I'm so sad that I won't get a chance to use your new washer. :*(